ACHS provides eligible students with a 1098-T tax form by January 31 each year. 

What is a Form 1098-T?

The Form 1098-T is an annual IRS form completed by ACHS, as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, for each enrolled student who has made payments toward qualifying qualifying tuition and related educational expenses during the calendar year (January 1 to December 31). The form is furnished to students to assist them in the preparation of their annual income tax returns. The IRS Form 1098-T Tuition Statement is to assist the taxpayer in determining eligibility for an educational tax credit and/or deduction.

ACHS fully complies with Section 6050S of the Internal Revenue Code, which requires colleges and universities to file information returns (data in boxes 1-10) electronically with the IRS.

When are 1098-T documents available? 

IRS regulations require colleges and universities to make the 1098-T available by January 31st of each year.

How can I access a copy of my 1098-T?  

As of December 2018, the 1098-T form is provided by mail. Students will be advised if this form becomes available electronically. 

Who is eligible to receive a Form 1098-T?

Students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and have made payments toward qualifying tuition or related expenses during the calendar year will receive a Form 1098-T.

Note: ACHS must have a valid U.S. social security number on record in order to submit a valid 1098-T to the IRS. Students are asked to complete Form W9S (found at electronically or by mail to verify ACHS has the correct SSN on file. The IRS will not be able to validate your eligibility for the tax credit without a valid Social Security number.

Colleges and universities are not required to provide a 1098-T to the following students unless the student requests a copy: students who take courses for which no academic credit is offered; students who are nonresident aliens (not US citizens or permanent residents); students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are waived or paid entirely with scholarships; or students who participated in an international study or education abroad program.

Some of the most common reasons for not receiving a 1098-T are:

  • ACHS does not have your social security number; this information is required for 1098-T reporting
  • ACHS does not have your valid address

How do I submit Form W-9S to ACHS? 

If you need to provide or update your social security number, please contact the Registrar's Office at 800-487-8839 or via email to to request the form be sent to you via secure electronic transmission. You may also mail the form to ACHS at 5005 SW Macadam Avenue, Portland, OR 97239. Please do not submit the form via email unless it is password protected.

The Social Security Number (SSN) on my form is missing or incorrect. How do I change that?

The student’s information that is presented on the 1098-T form is the information that the student has provided to ACHS. If the SSN is missing or incorrect, the student should complete the Form W-9S form ( and return it to the Registrar's Office. Please do not email this form unless it is password-protected.

Please note: failure to provide a correct SSN could result in a $50 penalty imposed by the IRS.

I don't have a Social Security Number, but have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITTN) instead. What should I do?

You may complete an IRS form W-9S which can be obtained from the IRS website, Turn the completed form into the Registrar's Office and your information will be updated on the 1098-T form. Please do not email this form unless it is password-protected.

What are qualified education expenses?

  • Tuition
  • Course materials including practical lab kits and textbooks
  • Required fees including the Online Materials, Library, and Resources Fee

Expenses that are NOT reported on the 1098-T Form:

  • Fees such as credit check fee, transcript requests, and other non-required fees
  • Apothecary Shoppe orders

The Information provided is not a substitute for professional/government tax counseling or for reading Internal Revenue Service publications. ACHS is unable to provide tax advice to individuals. If you wish to claim a tax credit for educational benefits, be sure to include the 1098-T form with your tax return. In addition to the 1098-T, your personal financial records may serve as official supporting documentation for your federal income tax return. Due to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) laws, we can only answer specific questions about an account/1098-T for the account holder (student) or those they have given written authorization for us to speak to. We are not personal tax preparers and cannot give any personal tax advice. For tax preparation advice, please consult a tax advisor.

If you have questions about your 1098-T statement, please contact the Business Office at or call 800-487-8839.

You may also wish to check with your accountant to see if you can expense the cost of your education if it is related to your business activities or if there are any tax rebate or deductions for your education. 

If you have questions regarding compliance related to the 1098-T statement or providing your social security number, please contact COO Tracey Abell at or 800-487-8839.